Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Catching Up ...

OK, it's been a while. Like ... way. Gah, sorry about that.

I think since I've been actually writing for a living, it's gotten harder to write for my own edification. Funny that, actually ... I had an epiphany in the shower back in August that, hey, I get paid ... to write. I'm a writer! It took me 8 months to come to that realization. Well, if you knew how long I've aspired to be a writer, and never did enough (read: anything) to actually accomplish that goal, it's pretty shockingly gratifying to have somehow backed into the job.

Here's a rapid-fire, stream-of-consciousness, top-10 (and other hyphenated adjectives) recap of what's gone on since, what? May? Since my dad was in the hospital? Gah, I'm lame. OK, here goes:

1. Went down to Sun City, AZ (see also: Hell) to take care of my dad and mom while he was hospitalized and went through surgery. It was rough as hell, but it all came out well in the end, particularly my dad's physical health, my mom's mental health, and the level of mutual respect and admiration between me and my parents. There's a lot of intense detail in there, someday to be written, but in short: it was a win-win with a happy ending (not that kind of happy ending, you pervs).

2. Katie and I got two kittens from the SPCA. Two medium-length black fur brothers. They were this striking charcoal gray when we got them, so they're named Earl Gray and Smudge. Practically impossible to tell them apart, short of small tufts of white fur behind Earl's ears. Earl is known as Earl Gray Pants of the Famous Pants Family. Smudge is ... Smooodge. They're never-ending fun, especially when biting our toes during sex. Awesome.

3. Helped manage the main stage at The Crucible's Fire Arts Festival, which was a hoot as always. One of the jobs that fell to me was climbing 25' towers and lighting the pilots on giant propane accumulators (read: flame throwers) every time they were blown out. (Note to self: add to resume the ability to have large explosions go off around my head without so much as a flinch.)

4. Flew to Michigan over 4th of July weekend to help manage the greening team at the new, model for sustainable music festivals Rothbury Music Festival. And that? Was an awesome week.

5. Went to Burning Man. Please enjoy my stock answer when asked how it was: "It was great." So there you go. The event has become more of a community gathering for me rather than a let it all hang out self-expression thing, and that's all just fine. C'est l'evolution. Spent a few days post-event with friends at Katie's family's place in Tahoe which was the perfect decompression.

6. Curated the art for the Treasure Island Music Festival, which was a ball. Brought in Bryan Tedrick's giant steel wing sculpture "Spread Eagle", hanging art from Ezra Li Eismont to decorate the artists' dressing rooms, an excellent interactive piece from Mary Corey March, and artistic furniture customized by Calliope Gazetas and Heidi Sandoval. Very much looking forward to working with Noise Pop and Another Planet Entertainment again on future events ... they were great folks to work with, and they know how to put on a great show.

7. I curated a small show at Gallery N!NE, featuring the works of Thomas Hammel and Ursula Xanthe Young (who I'd wanted to show for well over a year now, and finally got the chance). It's up October 4-13.

8. Currently curating a gallery of photography, and managing a silent auction and a raffle for the Black Rock Arts Foundation's Artumnal Gathering fundraiser at the Bentley Reserve, coming up November 22. Come, dammit!

9. Katie's private massage practice is going exceptionally well (categorize under: told ya so), and she's now working less and making more than ever as a result. And she's enjoying it immensely. Thank god.

10. It looks as though I'll be doing yet more writing for Burning Man, which is exciting.

I think that about covers the important bits, other than watching blithely as the global economy circles the drain. You know, stuff like that. More to come, now that we're all caught up.

No comments: